This piece was worked in two phases. The first the section at the top where I’ve used a basic grid structure. The second I did the base stiches as “stitch in the dark” and then came back and wove into them.
A stitch in the dark on a deconstructed dress facing with paper twine.
Different weights of linen thread on scraps of primed artists canvas.
A major demolition is underway next to our office. Today they broke through the ground level into the basement leaving a ragged rectangle. The remains of the reinforcing bars reminded me of stray warp and weft threads.
I tried a ‘blind’ drawing of the hole. (A small technical difference is that ‘blind’ drawings are made by drawing while looking only at the scene of interest, but not at the page).
Inspired I took the step into stitching.
Today I discovered a hitherto unknown ability to locate lost eye glasses. I managed to find two pairs in one day (neither of which were mine), which had escaped into our garden.
The theme for my stitch in the dark was obvious.