I finished this piece several weeks ago, but in the interim I’ve been side-tracked making work for an upcoming exhibition.
I found a breathing space today to scan this piece, which has generated some new ideas for work. The tag on the base fabric, cut from a pair of jeans inspired me to focus on stitching words. Some were stitched over newspaper headings and the section of straight lines was stitched over a page from a novel, “Nurse in the Orient”, (which we got from Tiny’s Green Shed, with a view to re-using the cover for a book of our own handmade paper).
The biggest challenge was removing the paper after I’d stitched over it without pulling out all the threads.